Barley Risotto with Hunt’s® Tomatoes, Smoked Bacon and Spinach
Prep Time 15 MIN
Cook Time 45 MIN
- 2 cans (398 mL each) Hunt’s® Tomato Sauce
- 1 small can (156 mL) Hunt’s® Tomato Paste
- 1 ¼ cup (310 mL) pearl barley
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) smoked bacon, cut into small cubes
- ¾ cup (175 mL) fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby spinach
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- In a pot, fry the barley, bacon and onion in oil over medium heat until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the Hunt’s® Tomato Sauce
- Add the Hunt’s® Tomato Paste
- Add vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer over low heat for approximately 40 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- When the mixture is almost fully absorbed, add the Parmesan, spinach and butter. Mix gently, adjust seasoning and serve right away.
- Increase the quantity of liquid until desired texture/consistency (to taste)