Caprese Baked Ziti
Prep Time 10 MIN
Cook Time 15 MIN
- 2 cans (398 mL each) Hunt’s Heirloom – Whole Tomatoes
- 1 lb (500 g) ziti or penne pasta
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) loosely packed torn fresh basil, divided
- 1 ball (250 g) fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup (75 mL) cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large ovenproof skillet set over medium heat; cook garlic and pepper flakes for about 1 minute or until starting to soften. Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper. Lightly crush tomatoes with potato masher; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add pasta and reserved cooking liquid to skillet; toss with sauce until well coated. Stir in half of the basil. Arrange mozzarella slices over top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle with remaining basil.