Prep Time 10 MIN
Cook Time 25 MIN
- 2 cans (398 mL each) Hunt’s Heirloom – Diced Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 small eggplants, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Hunt’s Tomato Paste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large high-sided skillet set over medium heat; cook eggplant, half of the salt, and pepper, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Stir in garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes, onion, red pepper, zucchini, tomato paste and remaining salt. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are starting to brown.
- Stir in tomatoes; bring to simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in basil, vinegar and lemon juice.
Chef's Tip:Use small eggplants, as they have less seeds, and so they are less bitter than large eggplants.
Add toasted pine nuts at the end of the cooking time if desired.