Grilled Eggplant Roll-Ups
Prep Time 20 minutes MIN
Cook Time 10 minutes MIN
- 2 small eggplants
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 can (398 mL) Hunt’s Tomato Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) capers
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12 slices prosciutto
- 4 tsp (20 mL) prepared balsamic reduction or glaze
- Preheat grill to medium heat; grease grate well. Cut eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices (you need 12 slices). Brush with half of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until very tender. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, strain tomatoes (reserve juice for another use). Toss together tomatoes, ricotta, Parmesan, capers, basil and garlic; spread evenly over eggplant slices. Top with prosciutto. Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- Arrange on serving plate. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and balsamic reduction.
Chef's Tip:Sprinkle with pine nuts if desired.
Add reserved tomato juice to soups or sauces.