Hearty Pasta and Cheese Bake
Prep Time 30 MIN
Cook Time 20 MIN
- 1 can (540 mL) Aylmer® Accents® Chunky Stewed Tomatoes with Italian Seasonings
- 1 can (156 mL) Hunt's® Tomato Paste
- PAM® Original Cooking Spray
- 8 oz (230 g) dry rotini pasta, uncooked
- 1 lb (500 g) ground beef
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon (1/2 mL) ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Baked dish of rotini pasta, ground beef, hearty tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (17°C). Spray 8x8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Brown meat with onions in large skillet over medium-high heat while pasta is cooking, stirring occasionally to break up the meat. Drain. Add diced tomatoes with their sauce, the tomato paste, water, parsley, salt and [black pepper; mix well. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pasta. Add to tomato mixture along with the Parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper; mix well. Spoon into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until pasta mixture is hot and bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.