Old Fashioned Italian Meat Sauce with Pasta
Prep Time 10 MIN
Cook Time 3 HRS 20 MIN
- 2 cans (1080 mL) Aylmer® Accents® Petite Cut Stewed Tomatoes with Garlic & Olive Oil, drained
- 1 can (540 mL) Aylmer® Accents® Chunky Stewed Tomatoes with Italian Seasonings, drained
- 1 can (156 mL) Hunt's® Tomato Paste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 bone-in pork chops (about ¾ lb (375 g) total)
- 1 lb (500 g) Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried basil leaves
- 16 oz (500 g) dry pasta, uncooked
Perfect over pasta, even Nonna would love this hearty sauce with pork chops, Italian sausage, tomatoes and basil.
- Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chops; cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned on both sides. Remove from pan; cover to keep warm. Brown sausage in same pan, stirring occasionally to crumble sausage; drain. Return to pan.
- Add chops, Hunt's® Plain Diced Tomatœs with their liquid, the Hunt's® Tomato Paste, water and basil; mix well. Reduce heat to low; simmer 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until sauce is thickened and meat is falling off the bones, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bones.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Serve topped with the sauce.