Quick Beef Bourguignon
Prep Time 25 MIN
Cook Time 35 MIN
- 1 can (398 mL) Hunt’s Heirloom – Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 lb (500 g) beef tenderloin, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 strips bacon, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1/2 lb (250 g) mushrooms, halved
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 4 tsp (20 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) red wine
- 1 cup (250 mL) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 bunch baby carrots, scrubbed or peeled
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 baguette, for serving
- Season beef with half of the salt and pepper. Heat oil and butter in large high-sided skillet set over medium-high heat; cook beef for 5 to 7 minutes or until starting to brown all over. Transfer to plate using slotted spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook bacon, mushrooms, shallots, thyme and remaining salt and pepper for 3 to 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Sprinkle flour into skillet; cook for 1 minute. Slowly stir in red wine; bring to boil. Boil for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to boil.
- Return beef to skillet; add carrots to skillet. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 18 to 20 minutes or until beef is just cooked through and sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with chives. Serve with baguette.
Chef's Tip:Alternatively, serve with boiled potatoes.
Substitute sirloin or strip loin for beef tenderloin if desired.