Prep Time 15 MIN
Cook Time 25 MIN
- 1 can (398 mL) Hunt’s Heirloom – Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 12 oz (375 g) Andouille smoked sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup (250 mL) long-grain rice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan set over medium heat; cook sausage for about 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Add onion, celery, pepper, garlic and thyme. Stir in rice, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper; cook for about 2 minutes or until rice is well coated.
- Stir in wine; cook until reduced by half. Stir in tomatoes, broth and bay leaves; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley.
Chef's Tip:Substitute broth and a splash of lemon juice for wine if desired.
Add shrimp if desired.