Skillet Spaghetti Lasagna with Sausage and Peppers
Prep Time 10 MIN
Cook Time 20 MIN
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 4 mild Italian sausages
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 carton (910 mL) Hunt's® Original Tomato Sauce
- 1 pkg (375 g) Catelli® Smart Spaghetti
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Heat half the oil in a large 12-inch cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook sausages for 3 minutes per side or until browned; transfer to a cutting board. Drain fat, leaving 1 tbsp. Add onion, garlic, red pepper and green pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Cut sausages, on an angle, into 1/4-inch thick slices. Return to the skillet. Pour in tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler to high. Prepare spaghetti according to package directions. Toss with the skillet mixture until evenly coated.
- Dollop ricotta over spaghetti and sprinkle with mozzarella. Broil, on the top rack, for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Chef's Tip:• Prepare with hot Italian sausage for a spicy entrée.
• Sauté 1 cup sliced mushrooms with the onions and pepper, if desired.