Tomato Bacon Jam with Bourbon
Prep Time 15 MIN
Cook Time 1 MIN
Serves 3 Cups
- 2 cans (398 mL each) Hunt’s Heirloom – Diced Tomatoes
- 8 oz (250 g) good-quality bacon, diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) bourbon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each allspice and ground cloves
- Heat Dutch oven or high-sided skillet set over medium heat; cook bacon for about 10 minutes or until slightly browned at edges and fat starts to render. Remove all but 2 tbsp (30 mL) fat from pan (reserve remaining bacon fat for another use or discard).
- Stir in tomatoes, apple, red onion, brown sugar, vinegar, bourbon, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and cloves; bring to boil. Boil gently over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 50 minutes or until thickened to jam-like consistency. Let cool completely.
- Refrigerate in airtight jar or container for up to 1 week.