Tomato Soup with Herb Pesto
Prep Time 20 MIN
Cook Time 15 MIN
- 2 cans (398 mL each) Hunt’s Heirloom – Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 4 cups (1 L) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped jarred roasted red peppers
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice, divided
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in large saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion, carrots, and half of the salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in tomatoes, broth, 2 cups (500 mL) water, peppers and bay leaves; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until carrots are very tender. Remove bay leaves. Using hand blender, blend until smooth. Stir in cream and 4 tsp (20 mL) lemon juice; heat through.
- In food processor, combine basil, parsley, cheese, almonds, dill, garlic, and remaining lemon juice, salt and pepper; pulse until combined. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Divide soup among bowls. Top with herb pesto.